Friday 18 September 2009

Liver Building Liverpool

I had never been to Liverpool before this summer and so I decided when I was there I would enjoy being a tourist for a day and tour the city, taking in the city's architectural and cultural features. I was amazed by how much construction work was going on in the city and how up and coming it is architecturally. It was one of the older buildings that the city contains that really stuck in my mind though because i just found it phenomenal; the Liver Building. It is part of the world's most famous waterfronts and is part of Liverpool's three graces that line the cities waterfront. Not only is the actual building a masterpiece, especially considering it was one of the first buildings to be built with reinforced concrete, but the fabled Liver Bird sculptures that are nested on the top are works of art on their own. The building was opened in 1911 and is still to this day one of the most recognisable landmarks in the city of Liverpool. I found it an exciting building because of the way that it incorporates such incredible architecture with art; and this combination of form of the building and sculpture works in creating an inspirational structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment