Wednesday 30 September 2009

20 Years of Style


This book by Kim Hastreiter and David Hershkovits kept me fully involved from cover to cover. This is not just because I love fashion but also because of the other features of design that the book contains. It is written by the co-editors of paper magazine and so you know you are getting words written by two of the most experienced editors in the design world. It is a book for anybody who is interested in where style starts, and i do not necessarily mean style in the sense of fashion because the book looks into the life and times of the last twenty years in all aspects and how each aspect of design and culture has inspired another. It talks of the huge influence of underground cultures of art, music, film, sports and urban street and how these have effected fashion. It is laid out chronologically starting in 1984 and going up to the present day. It is filled with exciting images which I found to be the most interesting part, as this allows you to see the way that not only the clothes have changed by also the photography, the layouts of the images and the fashion advertising and photography. It is packed full of images of celebrities outfits and is a very glamourous book that shows the change in design through a variety of forms over the last twenty years. I found it inspiring as the more I read the more I realised that with a degree such as graphic design you are so free to be influenced by all aspects of the design world and that I will be able to incorporate all of my interests into my final self initiated project.

No comments:

Post a Comment