Sunday 27 September 2009

Hoover Building



The Hoover building is a piece of Art Deco Architecture designed by Wallis, Gilbert and Partners. It was built for the Hoover Company and containing offices and a large canteen. During World War II it was used to manufacture electrical equipment for aircrafts and tanks because it is such a large building on the way out of London. The Hoover building is listed and was bought by Tesco in 1989; Tesco worked with English Heritage to construct the site to the strict regulations that were required to protect the ornate outside. Tesco also included in its interior lots of mirrors and fan windows that are in keeping with the art deco theme of the front of the building. It is celebrated in the song ‘Hoover Factory’ by Elvis Costello and had for a long time been a building that I have driven past on my way in and out of London; and because I have always been interested in Art Deco architecture and interiors I decided I would go and have a closer look at it. I think the Hoover building is quite incredible as it stands alone and is so dramatic in size that it is almost impossible not to notice it; however, I still find it a very unattractive piece of architecture. This made me think about how quick design is to change and that is why I find this building so interesting as it is a piece of design history, conserved as more of an art work now than a building that is aesthetically pleasing.

No comments:

Post a Comment